One of my favorite moments of the evening was when the photo referenced above was taken. I wanted to really say goodbye to the past year, which wasn't my best. I snipped pieces of paper and passed them around to everyone, instructing them to write on the paper the things they were happy to leave in the past as we moved forward into the future. Some decided to share what they wrote and some kept their disappointments to themselves. When we were ready, we tossed them into the kitchen sink and lit them on fire! It was fantastic! Just as they turned to ash, someone noticed it was midnight and we all cheered, poured champagne, then ran to the front windows to watch the fireworks going off over downtown. I missed having some of my very dear, old friends there (most of them live out of state), but I do feel very lucky to have started the year with fun, positive, open-minded friends.
Speaking of the past year not being my best, for one of the first times in my life I have crafted a list of resolutions. And I intend to stick to them! They touch on a variety of things in my life but I think they're mostly habits I want to grow into, like getting a solid eight hours of sleep every night or keeping my place a little tidier on the regular. So without further adieu, a list (long, I know) written in second person, of things I'm challenging myself to get into the habit of over the next 12 months:
1. Write more. Write every day, at least a little. Start a blog (hello!). Write stories. Write about your life. Write about your ideas. Write poems. Write songs.
2. Stick to an exercise program.
3. Make a commitment to eating a greater number of healthy foods and fewer unhealthy ones. Look again at portion controls, plan ahead for meals and stick to your plans. (Perhaps will track my eating habits for a few weeks to notice patterns?)
4. Try to cook at least one new dish a month. Attempt ingredients and dishes that are slightly intimidating.
5. Keep your relationships healthy. Write more letters; spend little time with people who are not uplifting.
6. Keep creating! Try new modes of expression (painting, songwriting, photography, carpentry, sculpting, etc!)
7. Keep your surroundings uncluttered and clean. Messy bed=messy head!
8. This one is a little too personal for me to share right now, but perhaps down the line I'll write about it!
9. Take better care of your skin. Remove makeup before going to sleep, use moisturizer and sunscreen daily, and don't actively sun this year. (I have a horrible habit of letting myself get dark in the sun over the summer--I love lying in the sun and being on the water!)
10. Get a solid eight hours of sleep most every night, even if that means being in bed at 9:30pm on the weekends sometimes.
11. Hone fashion aesthetic and what looks good on you. Purge closet of every unflattering item and do not introduce new unflattering items! Keep a log (at some point) for 30 days of what you are wearing, how you feel while wearing it, and what others say about the outfit (i.e. "that color looks nice on you," "that blouse is so you," etc), and photograph the outfit!